Tuesday 12 March 2013

Kaleidoscope of Memories-Biography of a Person I Know


She wakes me up every morning with a hot cup of tea. I can just make out her smile through my sleepy eyes, as I plead for a few minutes more of slumber. A few seconds pass by of a short dialogue, a clear, soothing voice on her side, and a barely audible mumble on mine. She finally convinces me to wake up and I prop up against my pillows and sip the warm, sweet liquid and watch her go about her daily routine of telling me things to do which I’m going to forget in a couple of seconds. It’s my vacations, but still she insists that I be up on time and at least wish her farewell before she embarks on her daily journey of text books and tantrums. Finally after her list of errands is complete, she picks up her bag and huge bundle of corrections, gives me a kiss and heads to the bus stop, where she will board the bus with ten kids who look like they just walked out Toddlers and Tiaras, minus the tiaras of course, though in some cases, you just don’t know.

My mother has been a teacher for the last 16 years. Her Facebook friend list numbers in the thousands, filled with students from batches new and old, some who are married and have kids of their own now. But the awesome fact is that she still manages to remember most of them. Asides from a few haters, who may post their views on some random confessions page, she has always been loved by the masses and regularly wins the accolade of being one of the coolest teachers in school. For me being the teacher’s daughter in school along with my sister had its pros and cons. The pros were that I did get special treatment to some extent, not too over the top, but for example that someone would bring me tea if I was ever in the Sick Room, that kind of stuff. The cons were of course that if you did anything wrong, the first thing the teacher would say was, “Do you want me to inform your mother?’’ 

I myself had her as my form teacher for one grade. As much a mortifying experience as that can be, I lived to tell the tale. Though I had to survive the looks I got every time she walked into class, every frigging time, it wasn’t all bad. Eventually everyone including me got used to it. My mom is a brilliant English teacher, and more so because she jokes and adds small excerpts from here and there, sometimes her own life, which may not always be relevant, but provided us with a good laugh all the same. One of her favourite stories to tell when we had a free period was that of our mini zoo at home. She would recite with extreme enthusiasm, the number of animals and birds which shared our home with us. These sessions were generally followed by people crowding around me and asking whether it was actually true. I would shrug coolly and be like, “Duh”. Okay maybe not ‘duh’ but you know what I mean, right?

 Another huge debate which used to always follow my mother around was the colour of her eyes. They are a natural hazel green, and I and my sister always used to fight with her over why neither of us got them, and she would laugh and say that as she got them from her grandfather, our children would most probably get them from her. Now I don’t know how it happened but some kid in school happened to know that she wore lenses, the regular kind for her number. But this very clever person started a rumour that, “No, that is not Surabhi Ma’am’s actual eye colour, she wears lenses.” We would be amused every time we heard this story. After a while she learnt to play along and confused the poor souls even more.

Another topic of interest surrounding Mrs. Surabhi Jamal was her enchantingly elegant wardrobe. Being from Bombay and splurging there every winter vacation, her ensembles would always stand out and still do. From Maheswaris to Ikkats, from Phulkaaris to Kaantas, she had it all. One of the favourite parts of my daily routine would be to pick out matching earrings for her every day. She always trusted my opinion in clothes and matching different materials, and I guess saw a bit of a designer in me since then. When at some event in my school, a teacher complimented me on my attire and told me that I’d inherited my mother’s style; I giggled and said, “I pick out her clothes.”
From teaching young 10th graders how to cook in the Home Science Lab to coming up with new concepts for the Eco Club, she was the first person to go to for ideas. Her class assemblies and plays were legendary. Though her plays, as it was often said, always had one character miraculously resurrecting, they always had a piece of heaven in them, pun intended, if you count all the fairies.

Eating PG food as we have to now, I crave for even her most bland foods let alone her shami kebabs and rogan josh. Whenever I go home, one session of baking cakes and apple pie is an absolute norm. I’m sure she craves for my adrak ki chai too.
I’ve known her as a teacher and as my mother. And she rocks at being both. She is slightly absent minded but in the bigger picture, it hardly matters. She’s the first person I would go to for help if I am in any literary fix or any other fix whatsoever. She stalks me on Facebook and teases me with any guy who comments on my pictures. She calls me when she doesn’t have her “Hollywood Encyclopedia” with her to cuddle up in bed and watch movies with. She screams at me through the phone if my cat all the way in Kashmir pees on her upholstery. She tells me about random gossip like Bilawal Bhutto dating Hinna Rabbani Khar, reminiscent maybe of the time when she wanted me to marry him. She pesters me to read articles and books and yes I am reading The Fountainhead now Mama, happy?

As I sit all the way here in Bangalore, writing this little ode to my Mommy, I realize I’ve left the writing limit far behind. I could write more, but that would be pushing it too far. In this kaleidoscope of memories, for a moment I feel like becoming that kid in the checked pinafore school uniform again, with the most difficult decision for me being what earrings to pick out for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment